The check scanner reads basic information from a check and enters it into the appropriate boxes in the Add Contributions page of Breeze. If you are scanning a lot of checks regularly this could possibly speed up your workflow in entering contributions into Breeze. It should be noted that the check scanner does not deposit monies to your bank account, it only records the gift in Breeze.
The Check Scanner will read and input:
- Account number
- Check number
It will not read:
- Memo line
How It Works
- Ensure that the Mini MICR, 3-Track MSR, MICRSafe USB Keyboard Wedge (22551002) is plugged into the wall and the computer.
- Make sure the green light is on.
- On the Add Contribution page select "Check Scanner" as the entry method.
- Simply feed a check (right side up) into the left side of the check scanner. The check will go through the scanner and come out the other side.
- When it scans, it looks for previous association made using the same check account number.
- If it finds an association, it will automatically pull that person association, and auto fill the account number, check number, and method. You will need to input the Amount, fund, memo line, etc. and click Add Contribution.
When a person's check is scanned for the first time (i.e. there are no association made with that account number), you will be prompted to enter a name for that check to make the association with a person in Breeze. You will need to input the Amount, fund, memo line, etc. and click Add Contribution.
Why isn't it working?
There are a few basic things that can cause the check scanner function in Breeze to not work properly.
Are you using the wrong check scanner?
Breeze only supports one check scanner: the Mini MICR, 3-Track MSR, MICRSafe USB Keyboard Wedge (22551002). Older/different models are not supported, and thus we are not able to guarantee that they should work with Breeze.
The checks are uniquely formatted
The check scanner is programmed to read the standard format of checks. Some smaller banks format their checks differently. Running it through the check scanner will cause numbers to be input in the wrong places. This is not a Breeze issue; it's an issue with the format of the check.
It is possible to reprogram the check scanner to read a different format, but it is not advised because then it will not read the standard format correctly.
Someone's check did not associate because it is coming from a new account
If someone has multiple checking accounts and has already given from one, that association will be in Breeze. If they give from a different account, however, you will need to associate that one as well (since the association is made by the account number).
How to Fix a Wrong Check Association
Sometimes it may happen that you associate a check with the wrong profile in Breeze. This means that when you scan a check, it wants to record the donation to the wrong profile. This can be fixed following the steps below:
- Navigate to the contribution record for that scanned gift in Breeze.
- Select the amount hyperlink and then Edit.
- Change the record to go to a different profile (the correct one).
- Select Save.
- Additionally, go to More > Contributions > Associations.
- Find the wrong profile association and delete it on the right hand side.
- The next time a check is scanned from that individual, it will prompt for the desired association again.