Oh man, this is difficult, and we want you to know that we are sorry for your loss! Every church decides to handle death in the church a bit differently, however, there are some essential best practices every church should use to ensure this individual does not receive future mailings, or their name does not appear on giving statements mailed to the grieving family.
First Step: Move Giving Records / Pledges
- View the profile of the individual that has passed away, making the necessary status markings you choose to use at your church.
- Click on the "Giving" tab to the left to see if they have any giving history.
- If they do, you will want to Move the Contributions to a family member.
- Next to the "Download as Excel" button, click the down arrow and select "Move Contributions."
- Select which contributions you want to move and the person you'd like to move them to and click "Move".
- Then Click the "Pledges". If they have Pledges assigned under their name, you will want to edit the pledge and put it in a family members name.
- Click the pencil icon on the right of the pledge you'd like to modify.
- Click the "X" beside the deceased individual's name and add in a family members name.
- "Update Pledge" button to save your changes.
Second Step: Archive the Person
- On the Left-hand side click "More" and then select "Archive"
- This will Archive this individual from your database.
Third Step: Make sure there are no associations with this archived person.
- Make sure there are no "Associations" for Giving saved with this individual. As associations with giving can cause contributions to continue to associate with the archived person if this step is overlooked. This can be incredibly awkward at statement time with the name of the deceased is still appearing, because they show as having been giving.
- Navigate to More > Contributions > More > Associations
- Using Command + F (or Control + F) search for the name of the individual you archived.
- If they have an association(s) click the "X" to the right of the association to end this association.