Note: The new Online Giving Page Design (with Donor-Covered Fees), is still in beta and is not supported by phone and email. If you have feedback you'd like to provide, please submit it here.
Overview: The Breeze-provided online giving page allows you to accept credit card, debit card, and ACH bank transfer donations from anyone over the web. The new giving page design now makes giving easier and more beautiful for your donors!
Giving Page Design
General Settings for Web Giving
While these options are not new to the Web Giving settings, we have clarified some language to make setup even easier! These are the basic settings you'll need to customize in order to get up and running with online giving.
List of general settings:
- Payment Types: Credit Card, ACH (eCheck), both
- Can Donate To: This shows a dropdown of all active funds in Breeze.
- Select Multiple Funds: Allows donors to give to multiple funds.
- Default Fund (only visible if above option is selected): Allows you to specify which fund is set as the default selection on the online giving page.
- Comments: When checked displays a comments field on the online giving page
Appearance Settings for Web Giving
The appearance settings for web giving now allow you to easily bring your church's sense of style to your Breeze-provided giving page, while customizing the experience of your donors (like linking them to your website after donation!).
List of appearance settings:
- Page Text: This content will be displayed on the top of your online giving page.
- Confirmation Page: This content will be displayed on the confirmation page that is displayed after a donor gives to your church.
- Link to church website on confirmation page: This will display a button on the confirmation page linking the donor to a specified website.
- Church Website Address (only visible if above option is selected): a place for the church to enter the URL for their church website
- Button Text (only visible if above option is selected): This is the text that will be displayed on the button for going to the church website.
- Theme: Color and image background options for you to get started. Also includes a Custom option where the church can create their own unique look.
- Custom Theme (only appears if Custom is selected from the theme settings): Dropdown option with either “Color Background” or “Image Background”
- Color Background (only appears if Custom is selected from the theme settings): Allows user to select a background color and button color.
- Image Background (only appears if Custom is selected from the theme settings): Allows user to upload and image and set a button color.
All Theme options have a “Preview” option below it that will allow you to preview themes prior to saving. This will help you get the design just right before publishing the changes.
Notification Settings for Web Giving
While these options are not new to the Web Giving settings, we have better organized them to make customization easier! These are the customization options around notification emails that are received by the church, as well as the donor.
List of notification settings:
- Notifications: When checked, the church is emailed a notification of each donation received.
- Send Notifications To (only visible if above option is selected): Allows you to specify who should receive donation notifications on behalf of the church.
- Email Receipts From: Allows you to specify who donation receipts should be sent from, on behalf of the church.
- Email Receipt: Allows you to customize the the email receipt received by donors.
Allowing Donors to Cover Processing Fees
If you're a US-based church and would like to allow your donors to cover the processing fees for web giving, you can now turn on this feature in the settings of your Breeze Online Giving Page. This new feature not only introduces the idea of processing fees to your donor, but also allows them to take action and help offset this cost for the church.
How it Works
When most donors give online they assume the amount that they are choosing to give is the amount that the church actually receives. In the world of online processing, this unfortunately isn’t the case, as there are standard processing fees involved. The option to allow donors to cover fees helps inform your donors of the processing fees, as well as helps offset administrative costs for your church or organization.
This feature may sound fancy, but on a technical level, all that we're doing is some basic math, allowing the donor to increase their donation to the point where their initial intended amount, is received by the church. Because these fees are pulled out of the total transaction, though, the gift must be increased by an amount that is slightly larger than what the fee would be if the donor did not choose to cover the fees.
For example, a $100 credit/debit card gift, where the donor chooses to cover the fees, increases the gift by $3.30. Where a $100 credit/debit card gift, where the donor chooses not to cover the fees, incurs a processing fee of $3.20.
gross = (net + .3) / (1 - .029)
Here’s an example to help visualize this process. If a donor wishes to give $100 net to the church, we simply need to re-figure the gross amount in order to account for the fee percentage, and ensure that $100 is what the church receives.
gross = ($100 + .3) / (1 - .029) gross = $103.30
In this example, when giving by credit card, a gross amount of $103.30 is required for the church to receive the intended $100.
How Donor-Covered Fees Appear in an Online Giving Report
Donations where the donor has opted to cover the fees will appear in Online Giving Reporting accompanied by a heart icon, allowing you to easily differentiate between fees the church is responsible for, and fees with which donors have chosen to offset.
Donor-covered fees are also designated in Excel downloads.
How Donors Receive Credit for Donor-Covered Fees
Because the donor-covered fees option simply encourages your donors to increase their donation amount in order to help offset costs for your church or organization, the donor is always credited the full amount that they give.
- If a donor chooses to give $100 with a credit/debit card and they choose to cover the fees, they are opting to increase their donation to $103.30. The church receives $100 (net of fees), and the donor receives credit for $103.30 on their Breeze profile, as well as on their tax statement.
- If a donor chooses to give $100 with a credit/debit card and they choose not to cover the fees, they do not increase their donation. The church receives $96.80 (net of fees), and the donor receives credit for $100 on their Breeze profile, as well as on their tax statement.