Looking for year-end online giving reconciliation? See End-of-Year (or fiscal year) Online Giving Accounting Reconciliation
Overview: Breeze's Contributions Section is a Donor-Management Tool with an Online Giving Processing Platform built in. This article shows the best method to reconcile Breeze Online Giving with an Accounting System (like Quickbooks or Aplos). For a full explanation on why we don't recommend using the Batches section for reconciliation, or for more information about how Breeze and an Accounting System should interact, see: Using an Accounting System/General Ledger with Breeze.
Getting a Reconciliation Report for Online Giving
With Breeze managing your online giving, it is very easy to view the donations that make up a given deposit (transfer) into your bank account.1 Breeze will show you specific details relating to each transfer such as gross amounts, transaction fees, notes, the batch the payment was automatically put into, and net amounts. To view this:
- Navigate to "More" > "Contributions" > "Online Giving."
- Towards the bottom of the screen click on the "Transfers" tab.
- Set your desired Filters (most recent will populate by default).
- click the "View Payments" link in the Details column, This will take you to the Payments Tab and will automatically set the filter for the specific transfer you clicked to view.
Transfer Report vs. Batch Report
While the Transfer Report shows gross totals, total processing fees, and net totals, batch reports exclusively show gross totals only. All totals found in the Reports section of Breeze (More > Contributions > Reports), are gross totals as this area is designed for donor reports and statements. This means that these reports do not figure in the Credit/Debit Card and ACH transaction fees that are taken out of the payment during processing.
Another reason we don't recommend reconciliation from Batches is that this section captures when Online/Text payments are initiated (when the donor sent their text or filled out the Online Giving page), and not when the payments are actually processed and transferred into your bank account. Because these payments don't process immediately (learn more abut processing times here), the dates shown in the Reports section will differ from the date you actually received the payments.
Searching for a Transfer within a Contribution Batch
If you'd like to run a search within Breeze to edit a contribution
- Navigate to "More > Contributions > Reports."
- On the filter near the top, select "More" and add the "Transfers" search criteria to the list.
- Click "Transfers" and select the transfer(s) you'd like to see details for.
- The payments the transfer(s) consist of will appear in the search results (Gross-only).