Importing envelope numbers allows envelope numbers to be matched with individuals so that contributions can be added by only using the envelope number as the reference for who gave the contribution. While envelope numbers can be added individually, importing them allows multiple envelope numbers to be added at once.
When ready to import envelopes:
- Navigate to the Account Settings ()
- Select " Bulk Tasks"
- Choose "More" (on the left side)
- Select "Import Giving Envelopes" (on the left)
- Download the template file and populate it with your data.
- Import the revised file using the "Import Envelopes" button. Use the key below for determining how to populate the data. Note: Revised File simply means that you will need to delete out all of the blank fields (the people without envelope numbers). You can simply do this by sorting the Excel spread sheet, which will group all the blank fields together and delete them. Otherwise an error message will appear.
Breeze IDs can be obtained by exporting people after they've already been imported. Use the names column to cross-reference the rows to obtain the correct Breeze ID. If a person is not in the database, add them. If there’s a large number of people not in the database, bulk import them. Be sure that the person is not in the database with a slightly different name as creating them as a new person will create a duplicate person. If duplicates are created, they can be merged (individually).
Technically speaking, the first name field is ignored by the import (the Breeze ID is the only identifier used). The first name field is for the benefit of the person constructing the import file.
Technically speaking, the last name field is ignored by the import (the Breeze ID is the only identifier used). The last name field is for the benefit of the person constructing the import file.
Can giving information be imported by envelope number?
This is not a current feature within Breeze. Envelope numbers are a secondary way to enter giving data manually. Therefore outside of adding contributions, there are no native features that allow for tracking of giving, creating giving reports, or statements by envelope numbers.